I have another amazing guest blog for you today. This post is from one of my trainers. She just recently joined the staff, but I knew I would like her when I saw her Facebook page was full of dog pictures. “You had me at” woof, Wynter! But then, I found out she’s not just a dog lover, but a positivity spewer. This woman just oozes positivity all over Facebook and Instagram, and I can’t get enough. I know you’re going to love this piece.
By Wynter Lightfoot, NASM certified personal trainer and NSCA certified strength and conditioning specialist.
We live in a world run by technology. We live in a world where we can easily see what everyone had, does, and thinks at every given time. Although technology has many benefits, it also sets us up to become entangled in a vortex of social comparison.
It’s been said that comparison is the thief of joy. It’s so true, especially in fitness. Just when you’re happy you’ve made progress, you see someone has “done more.” Suddenly, you feel down on yourself; you feel like what you’ve done isn’t enough; you wonder why you “can’t be like them.”
Let me be the one to tell you: what “they’ve done” DOESN’T MATTER. It has nothing to do with YOU. You are the only one who controls your destiny. Only you can do the best for yourself. While comparing your journey to someone else’s can be inspiring, many times it can make you feel like who you are and what you do isn’t enough.
Don’t be afraid to blaze your own path! Use others’ experience for knowledge, but also know that nothing anyone else has done or will do can compare to what you’ve done or will do. Whenever you feel like you’re falling into the black hole of social comparison, refer to these five tips for your own self-success:
- Live – You have to live your life on your terms or you’ll live a life of regret!
- Love – Love WHO you are and WHAT you do (including what you’re capable of!).
- Learn – Continue to learn about yourself so you can live your best life!
- Lead – Lead others to see that our personal stories and individuality is what makes us different and amazing!
- Leave a legacy – You can’t leave a legacy by choosing to live vicariously through others. Every day is another day for you to focus on being YOUR best self.
“You are more than enough. Avoid comparison like the plague.” – Glennon Doyle